Builder/Designer: Norman Giroux, NRG Construction, Kensington NH
Norman Giroux has owned and operated a custom home remodeling and millwork business in Kensington, New Hampshire for over 30 years. Norm first became interested in energy efficient homes in the early 90’s when he attended workshops about Energy Crafted Homes which grew into ENERGY STAR Homes. It is finally time for Norm to build his retirement home. He and his family’s love of the mountains and many municipal benefits brought him to Moultonborough, NH to construct his life’s masterpiece.
Insulation Contractor: White Mountain Insulation, Lincoln, NH
Renewables: Blackadar Electric, Moultonborough, NH
HERS Rater: GDS Associates, Inc. Engineers & Consultants, Manchester, NH
GDS provides commercial and residential energy consulting, HERS rating and other certification services throughout New Hampshire. Clients include designers, builders, and homeowners of single- and multifamily homes who want to build healthy, durable and energy-efficient homes that provide unsurpassed comfort for their occupants. GDS has worked with the NH Utilities for well over a decade certifying thousands of ENERGY STAR Homes.
General Project Overview:
- The Giroux Home is a 4118 square foot three bedroom retirement home close to the mountains that incorporates many energy efficient assemblies and systems, including a well-insulated foundation and basement floor, high wall and ceiling R-values, Low E windows and particular details to air sealing the heating and cooling loads will be minimal.
- Home is designed to generate all its energy needs for heating, cooling, hot water and appliances on site.
- Norm’s interest in energy efficient construction began in the 1990’s when he attended workshops about the Energy Crafted homes program- which evolved into today’s ENERGY STAR Homes Program.
- Norm, his family and crew enjoyed the summer of 2016 at a local campground while getting the project started, framed up and closed in before winter.
- Great views of the mountains
- Single-level living
- Two kitchens
- Finished suite above garage for guest
- High ceilings
Orientation and Envelope:
- Home Energy Score (HERS) projected score of
- Blower door result of ___ACH50 (to be determined)
- Basement slab was covered with vapor barrier and then insulated with 2” of EPS foam board equal to an R-12
- Interior foundations wall is insulated with XPS foam insulation equal to an R-10
- Exterior wall sheathed with Zip-R sheathing.
- Windows with U-values of 0.18 (roughly R-5) and solar heat gain coefficient of .21
- Wall and roof sheathing air sealing with Zip-R flashing tapes.
Heating Cooling and Hot Water:
- 80 Gallon Bradford White Aerotherm Series Heat Pump Water Heater
- Ground loop, Geothermal 60,000 Btu system Radiant heating and ducted cooling
- 100% of the house is outfitted with LED bulbs or fixtures
- ENERGY STAR refrigerator, dishwasher, clothes washer, clothes dryer.
- 200 amp electrical service
- 10Kw ground mounted solar array
Resources sustainability features:
- Geothermal heating and cooling systems
- High Efficient HVAC, Hot Water, Appliances and Lighting.
- Building integrated Solar Photovoltaic System
|Building Information ||Design Specs ||As Built |
|Conditioned Area (sq. Ft.)||4118|
|Housing Type||Single family, Detached|
|Thermal ||Design Specs ||As Built |
|Foundations walls||R-10 XPS rigid foam Board|
|Framed Floors||R-45 7 inches of closed cell|
|Walls||R-26 inchs of vlosed 3.5 blown fiberglass Flash and fill|
|Flat Ceilings||R-40 16inches of Blown Fiberglass|
|Mechanical ||Design Specs ||As Built |
|Space Heating (primary only) >Efficiency (HSPF, COP, Etc.||Geothermal 58600 BTU 3.5 COP|
|Air Conditioning > Efficiency (SEER, EER)||61000 BTU 20.8 EER|
|Water Heating > Efficicency (EF)||ASHP Water Heater 2.4EF|
|Ventilation > Flow Rate||Heat recover ventilator|
|Infiltration Rate||2.0 ACH50|
|Renewables ||Design Specs ||As built |
|Annual Energy Use (MMBTU/Yr) ||Code Built Home ||This Home |
|Lighting & Apppliances|
|Total || || |
|Final HERS Rating || || |